Cam (Chatt Hills Adv)

Cam (Chatt Hills Adv)
Then and Now.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

NAJYRC Volunteering

So I had the privilege of volunteering at Young Riders this past weekend. It was an amazing experience. If any of you ever have the time, volunteering is both fun and rewarding. It gives back to this amazing sport we all love, for without the volunteers none of us would be able to compete. In my previous jobs volunteering just wasn't possible. If I went to a show it was to work as a groom and if I didn't go to a show it was because my previous jobs had me working weekends. I am now in a situation that allows me to be a somewhat normal human being so volunteering is more attainable. I also have this twisted idea that I might try to get certified <-- is that the correct word? as a MSEDA judge with the ultimate goal being to someday get my "r" in Eventing Dressage. I know crazy right? And since I want to do this, many hours are needed scribing and volunteering.  So onward with last weekend.

As we all know my last experience with scribing was an eye opener. I took it for granted that all of my horses and students went in the show ring looking their best and doing their best. There are a lot of people who just don't care. Well this time was different. It was a championship. It was an FEI level event. It was much more polished. I was super excited when I got assigned to the President of the Ground Jury at C, Annabelle Scrimgeour. First, she had an amazing British accent (I love accents) and second she was the head judge so I knew I was going to learn a ton. For those of you who don't know, in FEI level events there are three judges instead of just one. Its intimidating as a rider, but it gives you a much better view of how your test rode because you get three opinions (sitting at different points in the arena) instead of one. We all know dressage is quite subjective so it gives you a chance to see how you are really doing. I also discovered that scribing in a large arena is TONS easier. You have more time to write and to watch whats going on because theres more room! Novel concept isn't it? I loved how Annabelle was not destructive in her comments, yet when she felt strongly about a movement she made sure to explain her scores. I was able to ask her questions and understand what she was looking for and the best part was I was able to keep up with her AND my scores would have been pretty similar on more than 80% of the tests. (better yet were her british terms, "rather big circle" "muddled lengthening") I was stoked because she's an "S" judge and I was able to see so many things. Yay, I'm not completely useless in what I see!

I must say I was super impressed with the riding ability and the presentation of the horses and riders. Its nice to know that some of the up and coming riders can clean up and take care of their horses for shows.

And then on to Saturday where I "Area Stewarded" for the first time. It was also a good learning experience and EXTREMELY intimidating. I have ridden at the upper levels and at the FEI level. I know the rules, but wow when your put on the spot and asked to be in charge in that situation it is intense! For the day I was assigned the jumps back by the "hollow" they use at Rolex. For the 2* the riders had to jump off the huge drop at the root cellar and go to a skinny brush and then jump a log in the hollow followed by a skinny before they headed for a long gallop to a trakehner. It was pretty well ridden. We only had one fall that was because the horse slipped and fell on the landing side of the skinny brush (horse and rider were ok, just frustrated) and a hairy moment at the log going into the hollow for one rider where her horse went to take off, saw the drop and lost momentum in the air, leaving a leg at the fence, but keeping a cool head his rider rode on through and finished successfully in one of the top spots for the 2*. The 1* had to do the double bounce step down at the hollow and while we were concerned it might ride tough, for those who chose to do it instead of the option there, it rode well. We only saw one rider look straight at the ground and almost end up there. Her coach was standing near and said, " well her instructions were to trot and look up, she cantered and looked down- glad we got that on video" It was interesting to hear the different Chefs, Coaches, friends, and family members accounts of what their team was supposed to do.

All in all it was a well run, well ridden event. I was more impressed than I thought I would be. I had an excellent experience and I give tons of credit to the smooth running to people like Mary Fike and Bev Henson  who were in charge of varying parts of the Eventing portion of the NAJYRC. They are incredible people in our area and we take them for granted. Oh, and thanks to Janice Holmes as well for helping me understand where I was supposed to be. Otherwise I'd probably still be asking exactly what I had to do to be an area steward? And were they sure they wanted ME to be doing that job? I really could just jump judge.... lol.

So I encourage more volunteers and make sure to say thank you to those out there. They really are the backbone of our sport. 

Off to Cobblestone this weekend and will have a full report!

Signing off~
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment